ERASMUS+ Project Participation
In May this year, our organization was approved for project funding from ERASMUS+ Programme. Here we are going to share details of the different stages of our project and the implementation of project objectives.
A Strategy for 3D Integration of Technologies in Teaching English to Adults
Within the framework programme Erasmus+ and through the Key Action 1 (KA1) of people’s mobility for learning purposes and, more specifically, of staff mobility for adult education, we intend to carry out a project aimed at the modernisation of teaching English as а foreign language by enrolling for a two-week course on "Technology enhanced learning" in York, UK.
The same way technologies alter our personal lives, we expect they would do the same with the way we teach and learn. However, the fact that these changes tend to come in late seems то strengthen the linguistic, cultural and social hegemonies in education. In this sense, our project is aimed at upgrading and structurally transforming English teaching methodology in a way that it integrates ICT into three main areas: classroom training, blended learning and an online immersive platform.
- Getting up-to-speed with the original source of the English language and its learning culture;
- Increasing the effectiveness and confidence of teachers and rethinking their overall role, as well as engaging them in the authorship of materials, relevant to specific situations and target groups;
- Emphasizing student personal responsibility and self-involvement, maximising the impact and spread of new ways of learning;
- Incitement and maintaining of innovative and critical thinking among students and teachers alike, through conscious work on the so-called “21st Century Skills" that facilitate people in search of employment on a European level;
- Elimination of physical and geographical barriers to those with an impulse to learn by introducing a blended learning approach and a thorough online platform;
- Developing the ability to prevent and deal with potential problems that could stem from the use of ICT or during the intercultural exchange;
- Dissemination of results to a larger number of people in remote areas as well as in other European countries.
Activities and methodology for implementing the project goals:
- Internalisation of a range of techniques for integrating ICT, thoroughly tested by an authoritative institution in the country that carries the living language (York Associates, UK). Getting to know the most commonly used free technology tools and their educational application and finally applying the lessons learned in the classroom as well as online;
- Produce a blog / site / online educational platform to achieve internationalisation of the service. Using this method can also be used to reach people who have no direct access to educational services and ignite an active attitude in all students alike;
- Using technology to achieve improvements to processes: reducing costs and improving quality through a better application of technology to learning and to administration.
Brief outline of the expected results and projected impact:
- Immediate positive impact in the educational process through updated linguistic, cultural and technical content;
- Possibility to upgrade language skills at any time, from any device;
- Optimization of the time for preparation of teaching materials that integrate ICT and increased teacher effectiveness – focus on the selection of topics and proficiency in applying the prepared materials;
- Personalization: curricula generate a large amount of data that can be used to provide more sophisticated individual programs.
- Multiculturalism: increasing cultural and multicultural awareness in the classroom, skills for facilitating the online learning process that involves interaction with various backgrounds;
- Proactivity and openness through initiatives that involve partners from around Bulgaria and from other parts of Europe.
- Cooperation with similar organizations from other European countries to achieve a more versatile and practically applicable opportunities for students as well as organizing a workshop designed to share experiences in integrating ICT in English language learning.
Potential long-term benefits
- Developing the ability to express personal views and experiences;
- Meaningful interaction with the surrounding world and increased participation;
- More employment opportunities and gradual cultivation of professionalism;
- Personal satisfaction;
- Digital citizenship;
- Learning in "the cloud": use of technologies that reduce more costs for infrastructure and ensuring scalability.
You can follow the details on the following link mobilityreport
on the topic of teaching English with technologies